Monday, November 1, 2010

Take A Picture with a Real Indian

In celebration of Native American heritage month I will be highlighting the work one Native American artist each week during November. This week's artist is conceptual multimedia installation and performance artist James Luna of Payomkawichum (LuiseƱo) and Mexican American heritage. The first time I saw his work was when I was in high-school, he had a window installation at 911 Media Arts Center in Seattle, Wa. called Futuristic Native Outfits for Night Raids (and other paraphernalia). It was quite awhile ago, so I don't know if what I remember of the installation is real or just my memory twisting it up, but what I do remember was most certainly my first exposure to contemporary Native American art.

Here is a performance piece by Mr. Luna in observance of Columbus day from a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment