Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Short Film: The Lychee Thieves

ENCORE PRESENTATION TONIGHT THURSDAY MAY 6TH AT THE LA ASIAN PACIFIC FILM FEST: http://asianfilmfestla.org/2010/encore-screening-of-big-island-films-short-program-56/

I saw The Lychee Thieves as part of the "Big Island Films" program at the L.A. Asian Pacific Film Festival. This charming short film was shot last year on my home island of O'ahu. Beautiful cinematography by Anne Misawa (Treeless Mountain)helps the film stand apart from others in the program. But what I enjoyed most was the film's ability to distill complex cultural conflicts unique to islands into a cohesive and moving film under 30 minutes.

I spoke with Executive Producer Stephen Gyllenhaal at the Q&A after the screening. He told me Lychee Thieves is one of three short films that will eventually become a larger feature film called called Cosmopolitan. I am excited to see it once it all comes together.

For more information on screenings of Lychee Thieves take a look at: www.lycheethieves.com

No comments:

Post a Comment